Glenn Addison

Infant’s remains released to parents following bond hearing

Last week, the Independent reported on a residential burglary that took place on the 200 block of No. Melrose on Tuesday, Dec. 10. At that time, it was reported that the offender had removed collector’s coins and the cremated remains of a family member. It was later reported that the ashes were of the deceased infant son of the homeowners, who had died when he was just 10 days old.

On Saturday, Dec. 21, authorities arrested a Harvey man who was then charged in the incident. With the arrest, the ashes were recovered and have now been returned to the family.

Glenn Addison, 66, is charged with one count of residential burglary. Addison was already on parole for a burglary that occurred in 2014 and, due to his criminal history, is eligible for Class X sentencing.

On Saturday morning, DuPage County Judge Jeff MacKay set bond at $750,000 and also signed an order releasing the urn with the ashes to the family.

According to reports, Elmhurst police were called about 3:43 p.m. Dec. 10 to the home on the 200 block of Melrose Street, where it appeared an intruder broke a side window to gain entry at sometime after 8 a.m. The victims reported that a coin collection and an urn containing the ashes of the their infant son, Billy, who died when he was 10 days old, were missing.

Investigating officers were able to gather enough information to charge Addison with the crime, DuPage County State’s Attorney Robert Berlin and Elmhurst Chief of Police Michael Ruth said in a news release. On Wednesday, Addison was arrested at his home.

Berlin credited “the truly outstanding work of the Elmhurst Police Department” for the return of the urn to the family.

“It is our sincerest hope that reuniting the child’s remains with the family will bring them peace and closure,” Ruth said in the news release.

Addison’s next court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 6.


Comments are closed

Sorry, but you cannot leave a comment for this post.